Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mendoza





Wednesday, April 2 – Day 107

Mendoza was founded in 1561 by an expedition sent from Chile - at the time; Spain ran its South American colonies from Santiago. In 1861, the worst earthquake in the history of Argentina leveled the city and killed 40% of the population. In rebuilding, the city left a checkerboard of open plazas across the city, and these open spaces were to be used as places of refuge in the case of future earthquakes. So now, just about every house in the central area has a small park within a couple of blocks. The area now has about 1.6 million residents, but you’d never know it. The city is very spread out with lots of trees and parks, and there are very few high-rise buildings.

Friday, April 4 – Day 109

Walking to Av. Villanueva, the street with all the bars and trendy restaurants, I came upon a small tango session in one of the parks. There’s a small crowd, and a guy managing the boom-box, and all of the people are dressed rather nicely. I’m not sure if it’s a private party, but I stop to watch anyway.

Wearing a Harley t-shirt and jeans, I am an obvious outsider and am starting to catch some curious stares. Feeling a little uncomfortable, I grabbed a lady next to me and did my best “corredito” for one lap around the dance floor, said “muchas gracias por la baile Senorita”, and walked off. As I was walking away, I think I heard someone say “Tonto, who was that masked man?”

Coming home at about 2:00 am, I decided to stop for some food. I found a café that looked pretty cheap, and sat down at a table next to another middle-aged guy. We’re sort of facing each other, so we exchange a few glances, but I proceed through my meal without paying any attention or saying a word. As I’m finishing my meal, a kid comes up to this guy and asks for his autograph. Then there are three more people, and then a whole family wants to take a picture with the guy. After that, several people in the restaurant start singing what sounds like a high-school fight song.
I’ve been sitting 5 feet away from the guy for a half and hour, and don’t have a clue who he is. He turns out to be a local soccer legend that was in town for the big match this evening. This is the 3rd time since I’ve been on this trip that I’ve been within a few feet of some South American “celebrity”, and I'm completely oblivious as to whom they are.

No comments: