Thursday, February 14, 2008

Argentine Recycling



I’m still exploring my neighborhood, and everyone I talk to says that just because you see homeless people sleeping in doorways and people digging through the trash, that doesn’t mean it’s not safe. Actually, the “digging through the trash” part seems to be the way that they do their recycling here.

At the end of the day, it looks like everyone’s trash is nicely bagged, and piled up on the sidewalk. Around dusk, people are ripping the bags open and digging through it, picking out anything of value. I see some people that appear to specialize in cardboard while others are going for the plastics. Yesterday, I saw two guys stripping computer parts from about a dozen old machines right out in the street. Remarkably, all of it generally seems to be gone by morning.

The first picture is similar to one I posted earlier. It’s a huge sculpture of a flower in a beautiful park, and is just amazing to see in person. For scale, look at the size of the people in the lower right side. Literally, I just turned around and took the second picture. Instead of properly disposing of these used ink-jet cartridges, someone just dumped them on the side of this major street. I can only guess that by dumping this stuff in such a public place, whoever did this expects that the city will pick it up the trash and dispose of it properly.

Crazy, isn't it?

No comments: