Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Recoleta Cemetery




Sat., January, 12 – Day 24

A big tourist attraction here is the Recoleta Cemetery. It’s full of above ground mausoleums, like they have in New Orleans, and the city’s elite have been buried here since 1822. Seems to me that it’s full of military types. Evita is here, though her body was moved to France for a number of years during a period of political instability. There’s a directory of all the famous dead people at the entry, but she’s not on it. It’s pretty easy to find, however, it’s always surrounded by people and flowers. Looks like it draws a bigger crowd than Jim Morrison’s grave in Paris, but they’re not nearly as fun to talk to. Some of the mausoleums are really beautiful while some, as you can see from the picture, require a little maintenance.

Outside the cemetery, I met a couple of girls that were dressed really nice and spoke very good English. They turned out to be philanthropic gypsies looking for donations to help their cause, which they said was a children’s hospital. I gave them $10 pesos for a CD of instrumental music, and then they wanted me to recite a prayer with them. I’d told them I’d only do it if it were in Spanish, which was kind of cool. They were surprised that I could remember and correctly recite entire lines correctly. I’m not sure exactly what I said, but they told me that I am now guaranteed entry into Heaven, so I feel pretty good about that. They asked me if I would like to come to their home and meet some of the other people in their “organization”, but I declined. The CD is actually pretty good.

I continued on my way, and about 100 yards around the corner, I run smack into the “hippie fair”. Yep, that’s what they call it, and now it all begins to make sense. A few hundred of the city’s bohemian artisans have covered a nice park area with booths full of ugly jewelry, tie-died shirts, and other miscellaneous crap. It does draw an interesting crowd, though.

No comments: