Thursday, March 13, 2008

Flying Down to El Calafate

Sunday, Mar 9 – Day 83

San Diego John is joining me for the Patagonia trip. He was in my Spanish class for the last two weeks I was in BA. A former IT guy for Pfizer, he’s decided to see if he can turn that into a career down here. We have a one-hopper that stops in Bariloche, which is the heart of the Argentine “lake district”. I’ll be stopping here on my way back north, but right now, we fly due south along the Andes, which are absolutely stunning.

El Calafate is a town of about 15,000 people, and it sits at about 52 degrees south latitude, deep into what is known as the Patagonia. We’re about even with the Falkland Islands, and its Northern Hemisphere equivalent would be a few hundred miles north of the Canadian border.

The only reason this town exists is because it is the starting point for seeing the Perito Moreno glacier, and Fitz Roy. So, it’s set up for tourists, and there are some very nice restaurants. I had a great dinner this evening - filet mignon, mixed veggies, wine, flan, espresso – for a total of about US$35.00. I like Argentina.

No comments: