Thursday, March 13, 2008

I Hate To Say Good Bye to Floripa




Saturday, Mar 1 – Day 75

My surf instructor Evandro is in a competition today at Mole. I’ll get to see his first two heats before I have to head off to catch the bus to Iguacu. For some reason, the beach crowd is particularly good looking today. Ha!

When you take the “omnibus” you check your bags, kind of like being on an airplane. You don’t see them again until you get to your destination. I’m in my shorts, flip-flops, and a t-shirt, and everything else is in my checked bags. My “leite” section (1st class) is on the bottom of the double-decker bus. There are only 9 seats in a small room that fits between the two axels. Checked baggage is behind us, a rest room and the driver are in front, and everyone else is up on top. I was a little concerned about getting cold through the night until the steward came through and gave everyone a bag with a nice blanket and a pillow. Then, he gave us each a box with some airline-quality food. The bus is a pretty good way to go if you have the time and want to save a little money. The first class seats are great, and there’s plenty of room. But I can’t really say that I got any quality sleep.

Overall, Floripa just kind of snuck up, grabbed me, and wouldn’t let me go. I had only planned on staying a few days while on my way further south to Uruguay, but ended up staying for three weeks. think that part of it was that I’d been running pretty hard for 5 or 6 weeks, and another part was that this was just a really, really cool place to relax. The beaches were beautiful, the water was warm, the people were wonderful, and Regis kept serving up the cold beers at Beer Praia. This is not a place with great restaurants, five-star hotels, and lots of entertainment options. But I could have easily stayed for another month.

No comments: