Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thursday, Mar 13 – Day 87

John and I are going to do “the circuit”, which is 130 km, or about 80 miles, and we expect that it will take us 8 days. Most days will require 5 to 6 hours of hiking, though we will have at least one 6 to 8 hour day and one 10-hour day. We will be completely self-sufficient, though we expect to use some of the refugios along the way. These are basic structures where you can get a bed and/or a meal, which will make things a little easier, but we have no reservations. It’s a little past the peak tourist season, so we may be able to get into one or two, maybe not.

We’ll buy our provisions today, pick up our rental gear, and pack everything up tonight. We leave at 7:20 am from our hostel, and it will take another 3 hours to get to the park. After that, we’re essentially on our own, except that there will be other trekkers on the trails and in the campgrounds. So obviously, I’m done posting until I get back. The opportunity to do this hike is one of the primary reasons I came to South America, and I hope that I have some great pictures and stories to share when I get back.

No comments: