Thursday, March 13, 2008

Recover and Discover

Tuesday, Mar 11 – Day 85

It’s really hard to find out information about Torres del Paine here in Calafate. For one, it’s a cross the border in Chile and the Argentines probably aren’t that interested promoting a way for the tourist dollars move further south. Second, there is still a border dispute about which country owns some of the 100’s and 100’s of uninhabited islands out here, and third, it’s just really hard to physically get to Torres del Paine from here. Anyway, I couldn’t find a single book about Torres and none of the typical tourist service providers knew much about the park at all.

About all we found out was that you can get to Torres del Paine from El Calafate if you hire a private car. But you can’t bring any meat, cheese, fruits, or vegetables across the border into Chile, and once you do cross, there’s no place to buy provisions for an 8-day hike in the wild. I like to watch that TV show “Survivor Man”, but I really don’t care to live it. Looks like we’re going to have to go to Puerto Natales, Chile first.

The more I learn about the weather, the more I think that I’m still under-prepared for this excursion, so I bought pair of new Gore-Tex lined hiking boots, and tossed the 10-year old boots I bought in Costa Rica into a trash can outside the bus station.

No comments: